Recent Posts

My famous artichoke...








On the weekend I was so happy to get my hands on an early copy of this new book :: Hurrah!  It's always so exciting to see the end result of a project you've played a (small) part in.

This is the new Gourmet Farmer  Deli Book co written by Matthew, Ross and Nick and it is gorgeous!  Divided into chapters of dairy, meat, fish and vegetables, this book is not only a manual on how to cure, pickle, smoke and ferment, there are also the delicious recipes using these ingredients. Clotted cream, paneer, ham, smoked trout, pastrami, olives, pickled cucumbers or mustard, this book shows you how to make all your deli favourites then turn them into something extra tasty.




Of course, the best part of the book is this here artichoke.  Perfect isn't it?  And it's the one element that I am personally so very proud. Because I grew it. Yes. I. did. In my garden.  My artichoke is a centrefold. Well, featured in a chapter opening double page spread anyway.

Back in the old days, when I worked in an office in the big smoke, whenever the pressure got too much, my colleagues and I would often wish we could pack it all in, move to the county and sell artichokes by the side of the road.  Now whilst I'm yet to build a stand with an honesty box next to the driveway, you can see why my artichoke being in print is just as rewarding.

I know, I know, you'd like to run out and buy this book for its stunning artichokes alone, but there is also the beautiful photography by the very clever Alan, the lovely tactile rustic linen cover and most of all, the amazing depth of knowledge so generously shared within by three very talented chaps.


23 comments:

  1. YOU are very clever Michelle.
    Mwah.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I forgot to say....my copy is on it's way!
    full of stuff from some of my most very favourite peeps.
    you included :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these guys, and now your artichokes!
    My husband and I gobbled up his tv series and often think of 'packing it all in' and running to the rural life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful Michelle, another book for my 'to buy' list! Congratulations and yes...your artichoke looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Straight to the top of my Christmas list. 'Winter on the Farm' is my current favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be grabbing a copy of that for sure, YUM! Hoping to get to the launch at Fullers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few days ago I was flicking thru my copy of Winter on the Farm and wondered if Matthew had another book on the go....and here it is! Although I did wonder if there was going to be a book called, Spring on the Farm? A large print of your artichoke would be lovely framed for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful looking book . . . and artichoke!

    I have been wondering what to buy my father-in-law for his upcoming birthday. This book will be perfect!

    rachel ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Michelle!!
    That is one super gorgeous looking artichoke.
    So looking forward to seeing this one in my kitchen. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for this book to arrive in our local bookstore! And now an added bonus - your splendid artichoke! Congratulations to all on a great job - it looks like another beautiful book. Winter on the Farm already gets a good run in our house, and I think this new one will be up there with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your metaphorical artichoke....truly wonderful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. my artichoke is a centrefold, what a great line!
    I just got six new plants, I can only dream that they will have such fine careers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed the Gourmet Farmer series and have purchased the DVD's for future reference and inspiration.
    And now this book- I must buy it.
    And congratulations on the artichoke centrefold- you must be very proud to have contributed to a published book.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for linking to Alan's photography. My gosh he is talented! Beautiful, delicious images.

    Congratulations on getting your veg in print. It looks like another gorgeous book from Matt & Co.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's brilliant you sound very very proud as anyone would be being the centerfold. I grew artichokes last year and the year before, I was so proud of those babies, i was showin them off to anyone that would come and have a look.
    What gorgeous photography too, I might have to check this book out.
    Well done Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Im impressed - that *is* a very nice looking artichoke!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to get the book!! Fantastic post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "My artichoke is a centrefold".

    Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Firstly, this book looks amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and test out some recipes! Secondly, I love love love your blog! What a beautiful life to lead down in wonderful Tasmania!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Famous veg! Who'd da thunk it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the look of that butter, and the artichokes :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. MOTH turned to me last night & out of the blue said 'I wonder how Michelle in Tassie's jam venture is going? After I'd picked myself off the floor, I had to admit I don't know. Any chance of an update so I can get him off my back?
    Millie xx
    P.S. the boy's book has gone straight to my Chrissie Wish List which is almost due for distribution to all the sons. Gotta give 'em plenty of time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Went to the Hobart book launch. What an event, great speeches& wonderful food. The book is such an inspiration and I can't wait to have a go at creating some of it for when the family comes home for Christmas. The pickled eggs were quite yummy.

    ReplyDelete